Young professionals all dressed up with no where to go

Filed under: Daily News | Tags:, , , , ,

Young professionals in Colorado Springs don’t have a very bright outlook about the future of their careers here.

Results from a joint survey [800Kb pdf] between The Colorado Springs Economic Development Corp. and the Colorado Springs Young Professionals show young up-and-comers believe there’s a lack of professional career opportunities in Colorado Springs.

Even though 58 percent of the survey respeondents said they moved to Colorado Springs for a job opportunity, 43 percent ranked the city as “neutral” for providing professional opportunity for people their age. Only 27 percent said they plan to stay in Colorado Springs for more than 10 years.

The EDC also surveyed the young professionals last year.

The information is important to economic development proponents because having a stock of young talented workers is key to attracting large companies looking to relocate.

9 Responses to Young professionals all dressed up with no where to go

1. I am a 33 year old man who has been born and raised in Colorado Springs. I have been a Mortgage Broker since 2001 and now own my own Mortgage Brokerage. I have been looking for work for some time now and I can attest that this town has minimum opportunities. It seems that if you have no formal education, it is hard to find a decent job that pays more than $25,000 a year. My friends are graduates from Texas A&M, and had to go to denver for any real opportunities, and it looks like I will have to do the same.

Anonymous
    November 27, 2007 at 1:08 pm

2. Don’t know if I’m a young professional at 39 but moved to Colorado Springs two years ago and plan to move away soon. This town is death for young people.

Anonymous
    November 27, 2007 at 2:25 pm

3. If you have no formal degree I’m guessing that you are going to have a difficult time no matter where you go. And I don’t understand why people feel there are no opportunities…there are so many networking groups, events, etc. How can you not meet people? If you think this town is death for young people its probably because you are unwilling to go out and look for opportunities (sitting at home searching on Monster.com probably isn’t going to land you your dream job).

Anonymous
    November 27, 2007 at 3:37 pm

4. If you read the survey you’ll see this story is a little skewed. Look at how highly quality of life is rated. People live here for quality of life. Are they willing to sacrifice quality of life in order to increase their employment opportunities? I suppose if they are, then they move to Denver or someplace else. This survey is not a mandate for us to throw good money after bad at archaic “economic development” programs that simply serve as population growth magnets.

Dave Gardner
    Producer/Director
    Hooked on Growth: Our Misguided Quest for Prosperity

Dave Gardner
    November 27, 2007 at 5:44 pm

5. Absolutely point on. Not only is there no middle management growth but pay is lower as well. I plan on moving as soon as possible.

MBA - 30
    November 28, 2007 at 6:25 am

6. An independent group should take a look at the survey questions themselves. I took the survey last year, didn’t this year, but the questions are very skewed and beg for negative answers. I was surprised the CSEDC put its stamp on it because it was so unscientific. Is Jon S. almost too old to finally bow out of this organization? Seems to me the survey is skewed so Jon S. can get his foot in the door to places to boost his ego.

Anonymous
    November 29, 2007 at 11:00 am

7. Don’t be so surprised the EDC would approve a skewed survey. Contrary to popular belief, the EDC is not the altruistic group it presents itself to be. It was started by developers and is dominated by developers to drive growth of their market. The EDC has an agenda. You can’t blame them. Just don’t assume they are objective or have your best interests at heart!

Dave Gardner
    Founder & Chair
    SaveTheSprings

Dave Gardner
    November 29, 2007 at 11:17 am

8. I don’t thing Lon has ever been to a CSYP event judging from his comments. Of course I don’t think that the young professionals have ever had an event at The Famous which is the bar you’ll see him in “networking”. I think he’s being unfair to CSYP, they have been an important part of this town for how long? 5 years? You expect them to meet at a church or something? It’s hardly the normal “bar scene” at a CSYP event which is why we go. I myself don’t go to bars otherwise. Oh and I’ve met John, I don’t think he’s too old he’s in his late 20′s i think i heard. In short, i think the pot shot at the organization is unjustified. Great people, great events/activities, and a breath of fresh air.

Anonymous
    December 3, 2007 at 1:39 pm

9. I moved to Colorado springs in 1997, and have regretted it ever since. This is the only town that I have been in where happy hour is dead. As far as job opportunities, I’ll use a quote from a professor at CTU. “You need to pieces of paper to make it in CS, a Christan testimony and a clearance.” Very true

Anonymous