Young Professional Whiners column causes a stir

Filed under: Uncategorized | Tags:, , , , , ,

My column in last Friday’s CSBJ seems to have caused some healthy discourse. The CEO of some company that I have never met at the dozens of community functions I attend every month says I should get involved in the community. You think?

While the emails are coming in spouting all the good things the C.S. Young Professionals are doing the phones have rung with people telling me how “right-on” the column was and that the Young Professionals organization is just a meat market.

You can weigh-in here on the blog. Discourse is good for the community. Seems the CSYP still wants to whine, only now about my opinion piece.

If you are a member of CSYP do you agree with the report? Any former members out there? Why did you quit?

6 Responses to Young Professional Whiners column causes a stir

1. My freind found her husband at one of their events! I quit going because it was a meat market.

Hi-d
    December 3, 2007 at 1:42 pm

2. I am a former member and I quit going because there was no actual forum for any sort of business related anything. Drink specials were the highlight of the evening. I am 26 years old, I guess that makes me a “young” professional, but I would much rather go to the Chamber After Hours functions and hang with the grown ups.

kat
    December 3, 2007 at 1:47 pm

3. all i ever got was junk email. so i quit before i ever attended. but who wants to go to the zoo anyway?

i expected drink specials and a meat market atmosphere, after all there’s a martini in the ‘logo.’

it didn’t seem any different than just going to a bar.

seasoned internet observer
    December 4, 2007 at 10:45 am

4. Lon,

I am a member of the CSYP. I work as a financial advisor helping to manage over $250 in retirement accounts. I am a very active member of the arts community (theStickHorses.com). I am active in my church (www.PulpitRock.com). I occasionally get to rub elbows with some of the city’s most successful men at the El Paso Club. I’m involved in the county GOP. I’ve been to Chamber events, I’ve been extremely active in the HBA, and I’ve attended charity events. I’m “out there” as much as anybody.

I can say unequivocally: careers are limited in Colorado Springs. I’ve shaken more hands and kissed more babies than 99% of anyone else that I know and when I was looking to change careers in the middle of 2006 I found my choices very limited despite extensive experience. I was looking to get out of the financial field and into something more creative — like marketing and advertising (note I didn’t say sales — that was on purpose). But the majority of marketing firms are either (1). Mom-and-pop shops or (2). Door-to-door sales that call themselves “marketing”. I had spear-headed several marketing campaigns for myself, including one that garnered TV and radio interviews for its creativity (http://www.hunterwillis.com/Press_release_Financial_Planning_for_Food.pdf) and wrote scores of sales letters. Despite all of this, I couldn’t even get a phone interview — all the shops were full. I moved to another financial firm and after 18 months I increased our market penetration by 1,000% and increased revenue per client by an average of 20%. I’d love to get a promotion but there is no where for me to go – I’m already at the highest level I can achieve. The job situation became very clear: If you want to start your own business, Colorado Springs is a great place to be. If you want to move up the corporate ladder, you can’t even start in Colorado Springs.

As for CSYP being on the same level as the Chamber… my answer: absolutely! The old model of networking is: what’s in it for me? It is the same as the Boomer mantra: Gimme, gimme, gimme! The entire world is changing and Boomers like you don’t see it. Or you see it and choose to ignore it — like your retirement accounts.

Late Gen X’ers (1970 and later) and Gen Y’ers are more about building mutual trust than any generation before. Relationships are the driving force behind our decisions. Though personal gain is always a factor, it is not like our parents where personal gain trumped dignity, integrity, and common sense. Look at the rise of Facebook and MySpace — zero content platforms that make millions based solely on relationships.

I’m a proud member of the CYSP and I have many people from that group that I call my friends. And I’ve even done business with several of those members. The difference is that I built the trust first. The immediate gratification that the Boomers have become so accustomed to is changing — too bad you’re too old to see that.

Hunter W
    December 10, 2007 at 10:57 am

5. I have attended several CSYP events, Jon is a great guy with alot of vision, but at 39 I felt like a babysitter at the events. Its sad that the over 35 group is non-existent in the night life, guess they are at church or home watching TV. For everyone interested in Colorado spring, don’t ,move to Denver an experience a real city

Anonymous
    December 23, 2007 at 11:59 am

6. Funny I’ve never seen drink specials at the events. There are a lot of high level business people that you meet there like VP’s and business owners. And as far as a meat market goes…you put a cute, successful woman in a room full of men she’ll get spoken too. Especially since such quality is rare in town. I’ve hit on women at church does that make my church a meatmarket? No. Sounds like some people don’t know how to network because I’ve known a lot of people who’ve gotten somewhere. Funny I think the people that agree with you are actually the “whiners” in town that expect something to be handed to them. John has created the largest young professionals group in Colorado. It’s a pity you are bashing him. He’s done more for this community than others. His events are free too. I commend him for his volunteer effort to get such a thing going in a town that otherwise can really suck.

Anonymous