Developer Ed Rudolph dies in Wyoming car accident

Filed under: Daily News | Tags:,

Colorado Springs developer Ed Rudolph and his wife Gwen died yesterday in a head-on car accident in Wyoming.

Read the FOX21 news story here.

Tributes from the real estate development, nonprofit and sports sectors will be many, but CSBJ readers might best remember him from his “One on One” interview published in 2007. In it, Rudolph wrote about his many accomplishments, including winning a speed skating silver medal at the 1963 World Championships and of his portfolio of more than $200 million in real estate projects.

Here’s the the One on One that appeared June 8, 2007:

Like the subject of a Jack Kerouac novel, Ed Rudolph has covered a lot of ground during his 47-year sports and business career.

From winning a silver medal in the 1962 Olympics for speed skating, setting a world record in 1963 and being inducted into the U.S. Speed Skating Hall of Fame, to founding a successful commercial real estate marketing and development company in Colorado Springs, he’s made quite a mark.

Rudolph’s resume includes the assembly of a four-block residential section of North Tejon Street for Penrose Hospital’s expansion, initial residential neighborhood development in Rockrimmon at Discovery, North Face and South Face, and participation in infill projects such as the Southern Cross shopping center, the SoDo-Southside Johnny’s block redevelopment and 1 City Centre.

Most recently he brokered the sale of the Garden of the Gods Campground.

And somehow, this athletically-inclined entrepreneur makes it all look easy.

“I love to fly fish, and I’ve been lucky to spend time with some of the top executives in the country,” he said. “You can tell a lot about a person’s skill in business by the way they approach fly fishing.”

Rudolph took time recently to tell CSBJ about himself and his business.

Company: The Rudolph Co.

Position: Owner/president

Hometown: Northbrook, Ill.

How long have you lived in Colorado Springs: 39 years

Education: Bachelor’s degree in business and marketing from Weber State University, Ogden Utah

A few words about your company: The Rudolph Co. is a marketing and development company as well as a licensed builder with a portfolio of more than $200 million in projects. They range from residential subdivisions to medical, industrial and multifamily development, all with marketing as the key element.

Recent accomplishments: In April, Rudolph was inducted into the U.S. Speed Skating Hall of Fame after serving as the youngest member of the 1960 Olympic team and on the1964 and 1968 Olympic teams.

The developer joined Goodwill’s Board of Directors this year.

Biggest career break: Being the developer of the “Discovery” development, the first PUD (planned unit development) in Colorado Springs.

The toughest part of your job: Always looking for – and finding – the right opportunity.

Someone you admire: My parents. They led by example and had great family values. My dad owned his own business, was the winningest Olympic coach and was also named to the Speed Skating Hall of Fame. My mom provided spirit, self esteem and motivation.

About your family: Married to a great gal, Gwen, for 43 years. We adopted newborn twin boys, Jason and Ryan, and were blessed to have a daughter, Morgan. Jason and Ryan are married and Morgan is getting close, maybe. We have three grandsons, ages 9, 6 and 4 months.

Something else you’d like to accomplish: I’m working on several new projects including a new action sport with my son, Jason; a security identity project with my son, Ryan; a new concept for marketing in the automobile industry and developing an athletic theme park with a children’s park component. I am also in the process of working on a couple of redevelopment projects.

How your business will change in the next decade: Timing. The old rule was location, location, location. This is still the rule but now timing is crucial. If your timing is off, you’re a dead man.

What book are you currently reading: “Warhol” by David Bourdon

What is the one thing you would change about Colorado Springs: Community involvement. It would be great to have every resident volunteer to get involved with a city project in support of where he or she lives. It’s easy for us to complain and argue rather than take an active role in trying to resolve our differences. We all have our agendas, but in real life there are ways to compromise that benefit the majority.

13 Responses to Developer Ed Rudolph dies in Wyoming car accident

1. I’m not sure I ever met Ed Rudolph, but every year since I’ve been on the City Council he and his family would send a Christmas Card with a personal note thanking me for my service to Colorado Springs. It was always a nice gesture and every year I thought I should take the time to meet him and thank him for his kind words. I can only regret now that I never took that opportunity.

My wife’s and my condolences, thoughts, and payers to the Rudolph family and their friends.

Scott Hente
    July 20, 2009 at 3:41 pm

2. I had the opportunity to work with Ed for over 20 years in the area of finance and banking. He was always buying, selling, or brokering innovative deals with Paul Abramson and later individually. He represented his clients fairly, and often fairly shrewdly.
    I also received a card each year, and always a personal note on any referral. Eddie would always give you a big smile and stop you on the street to talk business or bonefishing.
    Definitely a loss for our city.
    My condolences to all of his family.

jack kerr
    July 20, 2009 at 4:09 pm

3. I am shocked and deeply saddened by the untimely death of my friend, Ed Rudolph and his wife Gwen. Ed was someone who truly cared about the future of this community and the people who reside here. His vibrant and vivacious personality, exhuberance for life, the sports community and his obvious love for his family, his wife and his beautiful garden are what I will remember most. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and his friends. His friendship with Chuck and MaryLou Murphy was longstanding and well-known and my condolences go out to the Murphy family as well. This is a passing that was well before its time.

Sallie Clark
    July 20, 2009 at 4:19 pm

4. Ed was a man of extreme integrity and will be greatly missed by his many friends and associates,

I live in Discovery, the community he developed over 30 years ago – it is still a quality neighborhood – a wonderful place to live. I recently wrote the newsletter for Discovery HOA and included excerpts from the Parade of Homes in Discovery.

I agree with his philosphy on “community involvement – one he embraced and was evident in what he did in Colorado Springs.

My sincere sympathy and prayers for his family and many, many friends. He will be greatly missed.

Jan Doran
    July 20, 2009 at 4:32 pm

5. The passing of Ed and Gwen will leave a huge void in this community. I first met Ed around 20 years ago and he was always, always an inspiration to me. When I first started my business I rented a one-office space from Ed. Little did I know at that time how much help he would be to me over the years in both my personal and business life! Ed was the definition of work and play and we should all aspire to live our lives like he lived his. Ed was also one of the great negotiators. After helping Ed on numerous projects with complicated environmental issues, I found that Ed was always a very fair negotiator. Ed always made sure that all parties in the negotiation were treated fairly even though, sometimes, not everyone got everything they originally hoped for. And when times were tough, Ed was someone you could count on for a story, a laugh, and a feeling that you were touched by someone special. Jason, Ryan, Morgan, we are all so sad for your loss.

Tom Lewis
    July 20, 2009 at 6:23 pm

6. I have had the pleasure of being around both of these wonderful people. My sister a small town girl from Wyoming married their wonderful son, Ryan. The day my sister told me she was marrying a man from a big city I was shocked and thought “how is this going to turn out? I am nervous about meeting not only Ryan but his entire family and not to my surprise my sister had entered a family that was absolutely amazing. Their kind hearts and words invited my entire small town family into their world. But it wasn’t their world at all it was their family, what an amazing family! Ed and Gwen were not what I thought they would be, they were not snickidy but any means instead they welcomed these naive people from Wyoming into their home, into their family and most of all into their hearts.

I remember walking down Ed and Gwen’s hallway and seeing the multiple pictures of their family and the one that stuck out most to me was Ed water skiing and if anyone has seen that picture I am sure you are smiling right along with me also thinking of leave it to Ed.

I am deeply saddened by this loss and know that others will remorse with all of Wyoming because they never had the chance to meet Ed and Gwen. To my sister and brother-in-law keep smiling; Ed would never let you leave unless you were. I love all of you! God Bless this amazing family! Never stop dreaming.

maggie masters
    July 20, 2009 at 10:27 pm

7. Wow! The Rudolphs and the Weinstocks were so very close during Eddie’s and my brother Bud’s
    skating career. My Dad, Bud Weinstock and “Big Ed” Rudolph were great coaches and support
    systems for the Northbrook Skating Teams. Such an AWESOME Family. Gordie and Sally are great
    siblings!!!

sharon weinstock pederson
    July 21, 2009 at 11:48 am

8. I grey up in Ed’s home town of NORTHBROOK ILL, and primarily through my late father Pete, our families have been good freinds over the years. I am not sure if alot of folks west of Mississsippi are aware that Ed’s parents and siblings were the nucleus and start of the incredible world class speed skating Team mentored and coached by Eddy’s Dad – Ed Sr., and that The Rudolphs are still legends in there home town of Northbrook Il. As a result of there accomplishments as a team Northbrook was coined “The Speed Skating Capital of the World” {as advertised at the border avenues} through the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s. Growing up in the wake of those individual, team, and comunity accomplishments was as much a possative influence to the masses with in our greater community as anything, and spanned 3 generations deep and counting. This Rudolf legacy of community envolvment and accomplishment is worn by so many as a badge of honor. Just to have been been associated with or know the Rudolphs is a privledge. My condolences to all family and friends.

Mike VanSchaack

Mike Van Schaack
    July 21, 2009 at 2:32 pm

9. I am just so sad…we were friends since we moved to Northbrook–I was 10 years old–Eddie was 12.
    Lots of years of our families spending time together. Lots of memories.
    Ed and Gwen were a special couple.
    A huge loss to their family –our heartfelt condolences from all of us in Northbrook

The Anetsbergers

Linda Anetsberger
    July 21, 2009 at 7:01 pm

10. Eddie was the guiding light that made even my most shallow thoughts about international competition possible. He led on many a long run to Glencoe Beach in Illinois where we all grew up. Fourteen miles later he was still at the forefront encouraging all of us novices on. He and His dad, Ed senior, were so positive in their encouragement to me about my ability. I will never underestimate my talents because of the resounding echoes of Ed’s and Eddie Jr’s persistent words. At 16 years old I believed in myself looking at the ’72 Winter Olympics because of them.
    I give my most heartfelt condolences to Eddie’s family.

Anne Henning
    July 21, 2009 at 8:59 pm

11. As a boy growing up in Northbrrok, Illinois I raced bicycles on the Ed Rudolph Velodrome track, built by Ed’s generous father. My brother and I played football and ice skated on the tracks’ infield, and played hockey in rinks that were the result of the Rudolph family committment to my home town.

If you were involved in Northbrook sports or park district activities, you knew who the Rudolph’s were and what they stood for. They were a humble family whose notariety was the result of unselfish contribution and accomplishment.

I have lived in Colorado Springs now for 23 years and have taken note of the many contributions Ed Rudolph has made to my adopted home town. This is a great place to work and raise a family and Ed Rudolph obviously recognized that many years ago. He did the same things here that his family did in Northbrook………he gave far more that he took.

My family knew many members of the Rudolph’s extended family back in Northbrook. Our entire family offers deepest sympathies to the enire Rudolph family. May Ed and Gwen Rudolph rest in peace with those who have gone before them.

pete wurzer
    July 23, 2009 at 10:50 am

12. Eddie, Gordy and I grew up in the once small town of Northbrook. We went to Crestwood grade school.Our church conformation classes were held in the Rudolph`s basement.Eddie and I did everything we could to disrupt the class. I remember skiing down self made hills in Rudolph`s front yard and the wild high school parties jumping off the roof into hay bails.We had many good times and memories over the years and still managed to keep in touch.Friends are forever and I`ll sure miss you buddy.May God bless you and Gwen and your whole family till we meet again.
    Bob Carlen

Bob Carlen
    July 24, 2009 at 4:46 pm

13. I am still in shock over this great tragedy. Eddie was in my high school class at Glenbrook and, when my family moved to Northbrook in 1957 and I started junior high at Crestwood Junior High, I always remember Eddie being the first person to take the time to welcome me to school, where I knew no one. We all went ice skating at the park district every single night, and he was always speed skating with Jackie Burmeister and others. My heartfelt condolences to his family.

Eleanore Lion Mackiewicz