BLS reports employee compensation rates

During September 2009, private industry costs for employee compensation in the Western states, including Colorado, was $29.44 per hour, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Employer costs in the Midwest were $26.32, $24.40 in the South and $32.14 in the Northeast.

Among private industry employers, overall costs averaged $27.49 per hour in the United States, said officials from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Mountain-Plains Information Office.

Salaries and wages accounted for 70.7 percent of these costs, at $19.45, and benefits comprised the remaining 29.3 percent at $8.05 per hour.

In the West, wages and salaries averaged $20.98, accounting for 71.3 percent of all compensation costs. And the cost of benefits averaged $8.46 per hour, representing 28.7 percent of total compensation. To view the full report, visit the Bureau of Labor Statistics Web site.