Mrs. Fields cookies closing

Filed under: Daily News | Tags:,

After 25 years in business, Mrs. Fields cookie shop in downtown Colorado Springs at the corner of Tejon and Kiowa streets is going out of business.

Its last day will be Monday.

Owner Bill Ross said the downtown business climate just isn’t what it used to be.

“The reason we’re leaving is the same reason everyone is leaving,” he said. “We just can’t make ends meet anymore.”

The news is that latest in a long list of announcements about downtown shops closing, including Michelle’s ice cream and candy shop, Bryan & Scott Jewelers, LuLu, Couture, Idoru and Mt. Tejon, to name a few.

Read more about the downtown business climate and retail vacancy rates tomorrow at CSBJ.com and in the Business Journal’s weekly print edition.

6 Responses to Mrs. Fields cookies closing

1. That’s too bad. I’m not sure what has changed in the downtown that would cause people to not buy cookies. Perhaps those who frequent downtown have become more health aware.

BTW, Michelle’s went out of business for failure to pay their taxes – taxes they had collected or withheld from employees.

Bernie Herpin
    May 19, 2011 at 11:04 am

2. The reason people don’t buy downtown anymore is two-fold. The lack of parking and the over abundance of drinking establishments.

gary
    May 19, 2011 at 11:20 am

3. I rarely have trouble parking Downtown. The garages are within easy walking distance and they’re cheap!

The nightlife might discourage some from venturing Downtown during the evening hours, but retail hours are typically daytime.

The economy is tough and hardest these days on small, brick-and-mortar retailers. Hopefully, this trend will soon reverse course. Downtown is the heart and soul of a community and we all need to support ours more!

Susan
    May 19, 2011 at 11:37 am

4. Three long time downtown businesses closed there and moved to the Westside and Old Colorado City. Velez Art Gallery, Sutton-Ho Jewelers, Out of the Box. I asked all of them. Another one went to Manitou. They all said it was from the drunks and disturbances and bums in Acacia Park. That made women shoppers think twice before walking Tejon even in the daytime

Dave Hughes
    May 19, 2011 at 12:03 pm

5. Its time to clean up Acacia park and make downtown an attractive place for families to visit. Landlords need to also be more realistic about rents .. in a down economy a tenant can’t afford to pay top dollar for rent. Maybe a landlord can give a business a temporary rent reduction until things turn around rather than lose the business completely.

Max
    May 19, 2011 at 1:42 pm

6. Personally, I’m surprised Mrs. Fields survived the Atkins craze.

As for downtown being dangerous, I’d have to disagree. Downtown Cleveland? Now, that’s dangerous, and I know so because I lived there most of my life. I think downtown Colorado Springs is safe and pedestrian friendly. Having said that, there are likely many people living here now that have not lived in a big city with a very diverse population, like I have. It’s unfortunate. I’ve seen a lot of intolerance and cultural isolationism here in Colorado Springs. Perhaps this is the real problem . . .

Ellen