BBB warns about fire scams during Waldo Canyon Fire
The Better Business Bureau is warning consumers to be aware of scams related to this weekend’s Waldo Canyon Fire.
Following natural disasters, criminals come out of the woodwork to rip off those who are in an especially vulnerable situation, BBB officials said.
The BBB has the following tips:
- Before you do any repairs, check with your insurance carrier.
- Check with your BBB at bbb.org to make sure the business/contractor is reputable.
- If you do hire a contractor, read contracts carefully before signing. Many times a contractor will ask the consumer to sign a statement agreeing to an inspection. However, the fine print states that the consumer is actually signing a contract and is then committed to that contractor.
- This is definitely not the time to consider contractors who come door-to-door.
- Get at least three bids.
- Be very wary if you are approached by a company offering services. You are much safer doing your own research and selecting a company that has been thoroughly investigated.