Furda named CSBJ associate publisher

Filed under: News,Print | Tags:, ,

Jenifer Furda plans to capitalize on her many Springs business contacts.

For 13 years, Jenifer Furda has dealt with the local business community, building a reputation for her energy and community involvement at the Greater Colorado Springs Chamber of Commerce.

Now she’s bringing those attributes to the Colorado Springs Business Journal.

Furda has been named associate publisher of CSBJ, overseeing events, sales, programs, circulation, marketing and communication, reporting to Colorado Publishing Co. CEO Francis Zankowski. She begins Aug. 20.

Furda, 37, was senior vice president of member services at the Chamber, where she had worked since 1999. Last year, the Chamber merged with the Colorado Springs Regional Economic Development Corp. and now is the Chamber and EDC. Furda was among four staffers laid off July 18.

At the Chamber, she headed up 85 events each year and managed programs such as the Chamber Rising Professionals and Chamber Connect. She believes the merged Chamber and EDC may move away from small programming.

The Business Journal, she said, will have an opportunity to expand its events and programs, networking events and business education endeavors.

“I feel these are things the Business Journal can smash out of the park,” Furda said. “I am so excited for the opportunity that we have at the Business Journal, and as a community, to move the needle in a positive direction.”

Furda has a bachelor’s degree in recreation administration and a master’s degree in sports administration from the University of Northern Colorado. She was the youngest person to receive the Colorado Springs Business Journal’s Forty Achievers, Under 40 in 2001 and was named to CSBJ’s Women of Influence in 2009.

John Weiss, chairman of the board for Colorado Publishing Co., announced the news of Furda’s appointment to the CSBJ staff earlier this week.

“We are thrilled to have Jen as an important part of our team, knowing her years of being involved and caring about the future of Colorado Springs,” Weiss said. “It will be a lot easier to train Jen how newspapers work than to teach an outsider the inner workings of the Colorado Springs business and civic communities.”

Furda met with CSBJ staffers this week and said she is devoted to Colorado Springs, saying she went to junior high (West) and high school (Coronado) in the Springs. She is married with two children and said she is looking forward to her high school reunion this weekend.

“My personal mission in life is to put a dent in this community,” she said. “I want to be part of something bigger than myself — the Business Journal has a huge opportunity to help businesses not only survive, but thrive.”

19 Responses to Furda named CSBJ associate publisher

1. I hope I’ll be the very first person (because I sure won’t be the last!) to CONGRATULATE Jen for this terrific use of her talents!! Jen Furda, you are terrific, and we’re so lucky we get to keep you front and center in the business community. I valued working with you at the Chamber and will value working with you just as much at the Business Journal. This is great news!

Connie Dudgeon
    July 26, 2012 at 3:08 pm

2. The CSBJ made a very good hire. I am happy to hear Jen will remain active in the community.

Tom Zwirlein
    July 26, 2012 at 3:11 pm

3. With Jenifer at the CSBJ, I may just start subscribing! Another great move for Colorado Springs!

Ken B
    July 26, 2012 at 3:22 pm

4. AWESOME! Jen you rock! The Chamber’s loss became the CSBJ’s gain. So happy for you.

Jariah Walker
    July 26, 2012 at 3:34 pm

5. The Chamber/EDC LOST (another) huge asset…Stephanie FInley…Dave Csintyan…Jen Furda. But what a WIN for the CSBJ! CONGRATS to the CSBJ for recognizing true talent and CONGRATS to Jen on your move!

Gregg
    July 26, 2012 at 3:39 pm

6. Congrats Jen!

Peter O
    July 26, 2012 at 3:40 pm

7. This will be a wonderful leap for the Business Journal! Jen is amazing!

Jessica M
    July 26, 2012 at 3:53 pm

8. Best wishes from your friends in Fort Collins Jen! You will do a fabulous job. Congratulations.

Judi Terzotis
    July 26, 2012 at 4:48 pm

9. While the Gazette and others continue to loose focus on the core of Colorado Springs, the CSBJ and Indy gain interest, support and revenue…. Interesting!?! Kudos to John, Fran, Rob and team! Great work!

Justin Burns
    July 26, 2012 at 4:57 pm

10. Great move for both CSBJ and Ms. Furda!

Kelly Bean
    July 26, 2012 at 5:09 pm

11. Congrats Jen. You are a true asset to Colorado Springs and JW figured it out. Success is your middle name!!!! Thanks for all you do for small business.

James M. Stewart
    July 26, 2012 at 5:25 pm

12. What a great addition for the CSBJ! I couldn’t imagine a better fit.

Chris A
    July 26, 2012 at 5:38 pm

13. Congrats Jen, you deserve it!

Steve Cox
    July 27, 2012 at 5:55 am

14. CONGRATULATIONS, Jen! You will be awesome and I can’t wait to work with you at the CSBJ!

Lisa Amend
    July 27, 2012 at 7:52 am

15. Congrats to the CSBJ for hiring one of the most talented persons along the entire Front Range! What a coup!!! I envision Jen Furda doing fantastic things for the CSBJ!

A big raspberry to the C of C and it’s new CEO…who by the way…has not responded to my personal e-mail to him sent 5 business days ago…of course I did not expect him to.

Mike McCann
    July 27, 2012 at 10:26 am

16. Good Luck Jennifer! They couldn’t have chosen anyone better. Looking forward to watching your continued success!

diana davis
    July 27, 2012 at 4:41 pm

17. I can’t wait to work with Jen again! She is a big talent that will continue to serve the business community and others well. She and Ralph and the rest of the team are going to do great things for this region!

Stephannie Finley
    July 29, 2012 at 7:50 pm

18. Jennifer: No one has better energy or creativity to serve our community. You, John and Ralph will take the CSBJ to a new dimension. And, I agree with Mike!
    Wishing you the best,
    Andy

Andy Cain
    July 30, 2012 at 8:56 am

19. THANK YOU to ALL for your thoughts and positive mojo! I am so pumped to join the EXCELLENT staff that is already at the CSBJ! And I am even more excited to help move the needle in a positive direction for our community and our business community! Together…lets make this the BEST community to live, WORK and Play! Fasten your seat belts and see you all on the 20th!

jen furda